The User Engagement is one of the main challenges in the Smart Cities. Most of the smart applications imply some involvement of the city users, or at least the evidence of their success can be measured in terms of the city user appreciation and reaction to the proposals performed via Mobile Apps.
Therefore, most of the cities need to communicate with the city users and to assess their reactions to different purposes. The communication of informations is the first step, the real need is the User Engagement, which means to efficiently and deterministically obtaining reactions and evidence of the success, once the city user is
- Informed via a messages, for example about the closure of certain streets;
- Involved by providing back comments and opinions on specific aspects (answering to questionnaires), in a participatory manner, for example, to get suggestions about the a moved bus-stop or changed service;
- engaged by performing specific actions, for example providing explicit comments, suggestions, taking pictures, raking, etc., on specific topics according to their context.
Available on different kind of Mobile Apps
The city users can be efficiently engaged only if the message arrives at the moment and in the locations in which the request has a sense. For example, suggesting to a commuter that is taking the private car every day to go from home to work, when a simple alternative based on public transportation is possible, inform the commuter in advance that his typical parking slot is not available, remind at the city user that is parking in area which is reserved for other kind of resident users.
In most cases, when the engagements are sent to stimulate a change in the habits or to inform the city user, some incentives/bonus could to be provided to increase the acceptance and attraction. The incentives can be in the form of discount, points, awards, etc. Moreover, they can be assigned on the basis of specific rules, for example, when certain context or user behaviours is detected (for example, when the system understand that the user is moving with a private car), or when the change of habits has been verified (when, after to have received a suggestion, this has been accepted, for example, leaving the private car, and taking the bus).
The solution has been used by ATAF, CCTNORD and BUSITALIA in the 2019 in capaign in Florence Livorno and Pisa.
The above mechanisms can be implemented/configured in the Snap4City Engagement tools which include:
- A tool to easily formalize Conditions at which Actions has to be performed, such as: release of incentive, change of status, assignment of points, etc.;
- An engine for real time and automated estimation of Conditions and Actions, which is also capable to verify if the message has been received by who, where and when;
- A set of Mobile Apps in which those engagements can be received to engage the city users; the same Mobile App can be used to collect data regarding city users movements, preferred points and topics of interest, etc.;
- A Management tool for controlling the Engagement status, which exposes Dashboards for real time monitoring of the Engagment process.
Flexible Estimation of Conditions. A range of Actions
The users of the App may use the App as anonymously or by registration providing or not a signed consent according to GDPR. The collected data are treated according to GDPR. The most relevant data analytics collected from the App are related to the: preferred places of the users, origin destination matrices, trajectories, user behaviours, comments on services, images on services and new POI, ranking and appreciations, etc.
The App is a tool for the users for collecting their personal data which are located at their exclusive disposal on the Snap4City platform according to GDPR. They can save trajectories, personal usage, etc., and exploit those data with IOT data of the city or of their personal private IOT devices for creating IOT Applications and personal Dashboards. This allows creating a participatory community and a group of active city users which can contribute to the day by day activity of the Living Lab.
Real time Monitoring of Engagements and Provided Surveys
Where you can test
The above solution can be observed at work on Tuscany region, Antwerp and Helsinki downloading and installing the Mobile App from Google Play and Apple store. The City Operator may control the Engagement and monitor the results by using the above presented tools, such as the Monitoring tool and Dashboards reported.
Partners: ATAF, BUSITALIA, CCTNORD
Download as PDF: https://www.snap4city.org/download/video/tn/user-engagement.pdf
Other examples and connected scenarios:
- List of all scenarious: https://www.snap4city.org/4
- TC8.10- How to manage the user engagement’s rules in the Snap4City platform https://www.snap4city.org/drupal/node/486
- Mobile App on all Stores: https://www.snap4city.org/drupal/node/489
- Dashboard: user Engagement for Administrators https://www.snap4city.org/drupal/node/472
- Snap4City mobile App: City in a Snap (available for Antwerp and Helsinki) https://www.snap4city.org/drupal/node/448
- Dashboard Life in Toscana with Origin Destination matrices, computed by Mobile App data: https://www.snap4city.org/dashboardSmartCity/view/index.php?iddasboard=MTc3NA==
- Advanced Smart City API for mobile app development, development tutorial: https://www.snap4city.org/drupal/node/20